The team at Merkel & Cocke, P.A. is proud to announce we have once again been named to Best Law Firms. This year, we have retained our Tier 1 ranking in the Memphis region in four different areas of practice:
- Medical Malpractice Law – Plaintiffs
- Personal Injury Litigation – Defendants
- Personal Injury Litigation – Plaintiffs
- Product Liability Litigation – Plaintiffs
We are thrilled to be recognized again by our peers for our hard work. Selection to Best Law Firms is contingent on at least one attorney from the Firm being selected for Best Lawyers. You cannot purchase a spot on the list, nor does inclusion one year guarantee selection the next year.
For 2024, four partners at Merkel & Cocke, P.A. were selected for inclusion in Best Lawyers:
- Charles M. “Charlie” Merkel, Jr.has been recognized by Best Lawyers since 1989. He was named a Lawyer of the Year in 2010 and 2012. He has also been recognized by Super Lawyers since 2006 and been named to both the Top 50 in Memphis and Top 100 in Mississippi. He is rated AV Preeminent by Martindale Hubbell and was invited to join the American Board of Trial Advocates in 1993. He served as ABOTA President twice (1989-1990, and 2009-2010).
- John H. Cockehas been recognized by Best Lawyers since 2007. He has been named a Lawyer of the Year five times: in 2013, 2019, 2021, and 2024 for medical malpractice, and in 2016 for personal injury litigation. He has been recognized by Super Lawyers since 2006. In 2003, he was invited to join the American Board of Trial Advocates and is rated AV Preeminent by Martindale- Hubbell.
- Edward “Ted” Connell, Jr. is recognized by Best Lawyersfor the second year in a row. He has been named to Super Lawyers and Super Lawyers Rising Stars since 2008, and to The National Trial Lawyers: Top 25 Workers’ Compensation Trial Lawyers Association.
- Charles M. Merkel IIIhas been recognized by Best Lawyers since 2012 and was named a Lawyer of the Year in 2020. He has been recognized by Super Lawyers since 2016, and by Rising Stars from 2008-2012. He has been named to The National Trial Lawyers: Top 100 since 2014 and was selected to the Top 40 Under 40 in 2012.
Here at Merkel & Cocke, P.A., we are very proud of the work we do for our clients and are honored to be recognized by our peers in this manner. We truly appreciate it.
Please contact us to learn more about our services.
After graduating from the University of Virginia Law School in 1975, Mr. Cocke and Mr. Merkel established Merkel & Cocke, P.A. in 1982. Since that time the emphasis of Mr. Cocke’s practice has progressed toward medical malpractice. At the present time his practice is exclusively devoted to handling medical negligence cases for the plaintiff, either as a result of direct contact by the client or on referral from other attorneys who are not familiar with the handling of medical negligence cases. Mr. Cocke was selected Best Lawyer of the year for 2012 and 2014 in The Memphis area in the field of Medical Malpractice and has been selected a Best Lawyer and Super Lawyer every year since 2006. Learn more about John Hartwell Cocke here.