Professional Mississippi Misdiagnosis Lawyers Fight for the Rights of Patients
When doctors fail to properly diagnose patients, we can help get justice
The timely treatment of serious medical conditions can mean the difference between life and death. Some illnesses can seriously worsen without proper treatment, possibly even resulting in death. Yet, in order to initiate treatment, there must be a timely and accurate diagnosis. When physicians fail to properly diagnose a medical condition or reach the wrong diagnosis, a patient may by injured by a delayed treatment, an improper treatment, or the absence of any treatment at all.
The experienced Mississippi malpractice attorneys of Merkel & Cocke, P.A. find it unacceptable when physicians fail to properly diagnose medical conditions. We provide our medical malpractice clients with more than 200 years of collective legal experience and knowledge. With a proven track record of success in the most complex medical malpractice cases, we put our knowledge to work in obtaining a just compensation reward.
Common medical misdiagnoses
A delayed or missed diagnosis can happen in various ways. Medical care is a lengthy process, beginning with the initial presentation of symptoms and extending through the provided treatment. An inaccurate diagnosis can occur at any time throughout this process, leading to serious, and even deadly consequences. Our skilled lawyers have seen numerous types of failed diagnosis cases, including those involving:
- Failure to order appropriate tests or bloodwork
- Failure to obtain test results
- Failure to properly analyze test results
- Laboratory errors
- Failure to properly test
When these incidents occur, our lawyers work with expert medical professionals to analyze your medical records and identify inaccurate diagnoses. We then use this information to create a case strategy that best addresses your legal options.
What are the most common wrongly diagnosed conditions?
According to a John Hopkins study, misdiagnosis is one of the most dangerous types of medical errors, causing disability or death in twice as many cases as other errors. We have seen the results of a missed or delayed diagnosis. Some of the most commonly misdiagnosed diseases we have seen include:
- Strokes. The symptoms of a stroke can be very similar to those of other less serious conditions. For this reason, stroke symptoms are often misdiagnosed.
- Cancer. Testing errors and inaccurate analysis of biopsy results can lead to missed cancer diagnosis. Left untreated, cancer can quickly worsen and lead to a death.
- Cerebral palsy. Without a standard cerebral palsy test, diagnosis of this condition is often delayed or missed all together.
- Pneumonia. The symptoms of pneumonia commonly resemble those of a serious cold. For this reason, physicians often fail to order proper tests. While chest x-rays are the most common method of diagnosis, they sometimes fail to adequately show the presence of pneumonia.
- Pulmonary embolism. This condition is caused by a blockage within the lungs. Without proper diagnosis, this condition can stop the flow of blood and lead to sudden death.
- Birthing complications. Pregnancies come with substantial risks for complication. From gestational diabetes to high blood pressure, a treating physician has a duty to properly diagnose and treat potential problems.
If you a doctor at one of our hospitals, like Northwest Mississippi Regional Medical Center or Regency Hospital, failed to diagnose your illness, we want to help you seek justice.
Contact our Mississippi attorneys when a doctor fails to properly diagnose
If a misdiagnosis left you or a family member severely injured, count on the reputable attorneys of Merkel & Cocke to fight for your rights. We fight for the rights of injured patients throughout Mississippi, including Tupelo, Jackson, Clarksdale, and across the Gulf Coast region. We also handle medical malpractice injury cases occurring in Tennessee and Arkansas. For more information, please call 662-627-9641 or complete our contact form.