Cleveland Personal Injury Attorneys, Bolivar County, MS
Aggressive advocacy for the injured throughout the Mississippi Delta
Cleveland, Mississippi is a town of change. From its roots as a farming town called Fontaine to its modern-day reincarnation as one Southern Living’s “Best Small Towns,” residents and visitors alike have enjoyed its charms for years. While Cleveland’s recognition as the place to be is great for the economy, increased numbers of visitors often mean increased traffic, construction, and other ways for people to get hurt.
Merkel & Cocke, P.A. understands the devastating nature of serious personal injuries. For decades, our Cleveland personal injury attorneys have advocated on behalf of the injured and their families. Whether you live or work in Cleveland, or are making your way through the Delta, we are here to help. Contact us today to learn more about our services.
Protecting families in the wake of a significant injury
On average, 166 people die from a brain injury each day. Almost 18,000 suffer from spinal cord injuries every year. Every day, people sustain serious injuries at home, at work, in the car, and while out and about. They are hurt while shopping, in hospitals, and in nursing home facilities.
When your injury was the result of another person or entity’s negligence, you have the right to make a claim for compensation by filing a personal injury lawsuit. At Merkel & Cocke, P.A., our personal injury attorneys help Mississippi residents, workers, and visitors seek justice for injuries such as:
No matter how severe your injury is, we have the skills, experience, and knowledge you want on your side. Our team has decades of experience representing individuals and families in:
- Premises liability claims. Property owners and managers owe their customers and visitors a duty of care to keep that property safe. When they fail in this duty, we can help you hold them accountable. Our team has successfully represented clients whose injuries were the result of slip and fall accidents, dog bites, and negligent security. We have particular experience representing victims of casino injuries.
- Product liability claims. As consumers, you have the right to expect that the items you use will work as intended, and that any risks associate with those products will be clearly labeled. When a manufacturer puts an unsafe product on the market, you can seek damages for the injuries you sustain. Merkel & Cocke, P.A. has built a reputation for handling complex product liability claims stemming from dangerous children’s products, dangerous drugs and devices, defective tree stands, and defective car, truck, and motorcycle
- Wrongful death claims. Any loss of life is difficult, but preventable deaths are among the most tragic there are. While no amount of money can ever make up for the loss of your loved one, a wrongful death claim ensures that the negligent party is held accountable for his or her actions, and that you will not bear the additional financial burdens that result from a sudden loss.
In most cases, you have three years to file a personal injury, product liability, or wrongful death claim in Mississippi. Sometimes, however, that time limit (called a “statute of limitations”) is longer or shorter than you might think. You should contact a personal attorney as soon as you can to get started on your case.
Do I have to go to trial if I am hurt?
We never force our clients to go to trial, nor do we force them to take a settlement. What we do is explain all your options, and then help you pick the right path for you. If your loved one suffered a truly catastrophic injury – the kind where he or she may be unable to walk or talk, or cannot help provide for the family – then a trial might be your best option. This is because truly catastrophic injuries can take a long time to heal, if they ever fully do, and accepting a settlement before you know the full extend of your loved one’s injuries may create a serious financial burden later.
On the other hand, when our trial lawyers come to the negotiating table, insurance companies know that we mean business. As a result, they present a more just offer from the start because they know we’re equipped to go to trial. They know our clients are prepared, and they know how skilled we are at jury selection. If an insurance company offers a fair and just settlement that you find acceptable, a trial won’t be necessary.
No matter what you choose, you’ll have a team of aggressive advocates on your side. We have secured millions of dollars for our clients in jury verdicts and settlements. Let us help you, too.
Protecting your future after a car, truck, or motorcycle accident in Cleveland, MS
When the reckless or negligent actions of a driver cause you injury, Merkel & Cocke, P.A. is ready and able to help. Our Cleveland personal injury attorneys represent individuals and families who have been hurt in a wide array of vehicle claims, including:
- Commercial truck accidents. Semi-trucks, tractor-trailers, construction vehicles, farm vehicles, delivery vans – a wreck involving a commercial truck of any size can be devastating. The risk of injury is severe, and issues regarding liability can be complex, especially when it was caused by a damaged or defective part, like a tire blowout or brake failure. We handle claims involving trucker fatigue, trucker distraction, blind spot crashes, underride accident and more.
- Car accidents. Collisions are a leading cause of injury and death in Mississippi, especially for younger children and teens. Merkle & Cocke, P.A. represents drivers, passengers, pedestrians, and cyclists who have sustained serious injuries in wrecks, and advocates for families whose loved ones have died in car accidents. If you were hit by a distracted driver or a drunk driver, we can help. If a defective car part is to blame for your injuries, we can help. We also represent clients in UM/UIM claims after hit and runs.
- Motorcycle riders. Motorcycle riders can suffer some of the most catastrophic injuries there are in a crash. Drivers often act like motorcycles don’t have as much of a right to the road as they do, and this can lead to deadly collisions. Our motorcycle accident attorneys help riders who have been hurt in collisions with cars, trucks, and other motorcycles. We also handle claims stemming from poor or dangerous road design or road hazards.
- Recreational vehicle accidents. Riding around on ATVs or taking the boat out for a day on a lake are popular forms of recreation, but they both come with risks. ATVs have a tendency to roll over, and watercraft accidents always post a risk of drowning. Contact us today if you or your loved one was injured while using a recreational vehicle.
- Common carrier and rideshare accidents. Common carriers are charged with the safe transport of people. A crash can be especially dangerous because of how many people are put at risk. Merkel & Cocke, P.A. handles all manner of transport accidents, including bus crashes, train collisions and derailments, and plane and helicopter accidents. We also represent victims of Uber & Lyft accidents.
Compassionate counsel for Cleveland, MS victims of medical malpractice
There are four hospitals in or near Cleveland, MS. All four of them received a “B” rating from the Leapfrog Group, “an independent nonprofit organization committed to driving quality, safety, and transparency in the U.S. health system.” Despite overall high grades, each hospital has areas where they need significant improvement. For Bolivar Medical Center, those areas include surgical errors and staffing problems, proving even a “Good” hospital can put lives at risk.
Merkel & Cocke, P.A. has built a reputation for its fierce advocacy on behalf of medical malpractice victims. These cases can be incredibly complex, as our state laws often favor the medical industry over the people it serves. We are proud to serve veterans and civilians, adults and children, individuals and families whose lives have been turned upside because of surgical errors, diagnostic errors, medication errors, and more. We handle claims against hospitals, medical professionals, emergency room personnel and EMS/EMT, and specialists, including chiropractors.
We also have a special interest in helping families who have suffered losses caused by birth trauma and birth injuries, such as HIE, cerebral palsy, skull fractures and other conditions. We understand how often mothers are not heard, and how this can increase the risks of a traumatic birth for women with preeclampsia, gestational diabetes, undiagnosed infections, or other pre-existing conditions. Our birth injury attorneys can help you by filing a lawsuit for damages, so you can focus on your family and your health.
Helping injured workers in Cleveland, MS collect compensation
Mississippi, like all other states, offers a no-fault workers’ compensation program to injured employees. Along with weekly wages and medical expenses, the program may also allow workers to collect benefits for vocational training, and offers death benefits to families whose loved ones died while in their course of their job duties. Merkel & Cocke, P.A. helps injured employees file claims for benefits so they can focus on healing. If your workers’ compensation claim was denied, we can help with that, too. Contact us to learn more about the work we do for employees who have suffered harm:
- Agricultural Workers
- Casino Workers
- Entertainment Industry Workers
- Healthcare Workers
- Manufacturing Workers
- Construction Workers
Additional services for farmers and farm workers
Farmers and farm workers are largely exempt from workers’ compensation, but that does not mean you have to suffer alone. If you were hurt while working with defective machinery, on a third-party site, while transporting goods, or even by livestock, we may be able to help. Contact our Mississippi workers’ compensation attorneys today to learn more.
Do you have a personal injury attorney near me?
Merkel & Cocke, P.A. maintains offices throughout Mississippi, including ones nearby in Greenville and Clarksdale. If your injuries make it impossible for you to travel to us for your free consultation, we can come to you instead.
Call a Cleveland personal injury lawyer at Merkel & Cocke, P.A. for help
Merkel & Cocke, P.A. handles complex claims in Cleveland and throughout Bolivar County. To schedule your free initial consultation at one of our offices in Greenville, Clarksdale, Oxford or Jackson, please call 662-627-9641 or complete our contact form.