As the weather begins to get warmer, traffic congestion is expected to increase. Warm weather attracts tourists who want to explore the sights and sounds of the Gulf Coast. When it warms up, people just want to get out of the house. Heavy traffic can also occur for other reasons, such as rush hour traffic, local festivals, construction, or traffic that is backed up due to an accident. Bad weather conditions can make driving in heavy traffic especially dangerous.
Total News recommends that drivers consider the following precautionary steps:
- Slow down. Don’t move too fast. Swerving in and out of lanes to find the fastest time won’t actually save that much time and every time you shift lanes, you increase the odds of a car accident. Plus, constant swerving just makes you and everyone around you more anxious and anxiety can prevent calm responses to emergencies.
- Keep safe distances between vehicles. Make sure you have room to stop quickly because the car or vehicle in front of you may need to stop in a hurry. You can control the buffer zone between you and the car in front of you. Generally, you can’ t control the buffer zone between you and the car behind you
- Be aware of your surroundings. You should know when you want to get off the road or make a turn – and make sure you’re in the correct lane as early as possible. Drivers should be aware of their blind spots. They should check their rear-view mirrors and side-mirrors. Drivers should check for signs that may indicate they need to change lanes. It’s also important to stay away from drivers who are in a hurry. Be safe – let speeding drivers pass you.
- Make your intentions clear. If you want to change lanes, use your turn signals. Position your vehicle so it’s clear you want to get into another lane or slow down to make clear you want to switch lanes. Be extra-careful when merging to understand what the other drivers around you want to do. Use your horn and lights If necessary to alert other drivers of you intentions and any dangers.
- Brake carefully. Driving slower and having a buffer should help you brake slowly instead of slamming on your brakes.
- Try to get off the road. If traffic is very intense, consider alternate routes that may take longer but may not be as crowded. Take breaks such as stopping for coffee or a Danish or just getting out of the car so you can stay calm.
The dangers of heavy traffic accidents
When a rear-ender, a truck cargo spill, or any accident occurs when the roads are clogged, the problems can magnify.
- More collisions. The closer cars are packed in, the more likely it is that one collision will start a chain-reaction of collisions.
- Difficulty reaching the accident site. Police will have a tougher time getting to the accident site due to the traffic.
- Difficulty helping victims. Ambulances and EMT services will also have to fight through the traffic to help anyone who is hurt.
When accidents do happen in congested traffic, it can be harder to clear traffic and clear your vehicle from the road – than when traffic is calmer.
At Merkel & Cocke, P.A, we understand how overwhelming car accidents can be. Our experienced Mississippi car accident lawyers guide victims and families through each stage of the litigation process. We work to settle cases when insurance companies are willing to talk. When insurance companies fail to make just offers, we’re ready to try your case in court. We’ve been fighting for injury victims since 1982. To discuss your rights and help you get a just recovery, call, us at 662-799-1633 or use our contact form to schedule an appointment. We represent drivers and passengers in Tupelo and the Gulf Coast Region – including Jackson, Clarksdale, and Oxford. Our trial lawyers also fight for vehicle accident victims in Tennessee and Arkansas.
Since 1982, Merkel & Cocke, P.A. has offered thorough, aggressive legal representation on behalf of clients throughout Mississippi. As one of the largest plaintiffs’ personal injury law firms in the state, we consider it our duty and our honor to serve the people of our communities, and to uphold their rights in court. Our reputation is such that other law firms turn to us when they need legal counsel, and our business has grown through the years because of the referrals of these attorneys, who trust us with their needs and the needs of their clients. We are the firm you can trust when there are challenges ahead. To schedule a free consultation, please complete our contact form.