Reputable Mississippi Personal Injury Attorneys Fighting for Burn Injury Victims
Handling every aspect of your case so you can focus on healing
Burns are among the most common injuries to occur in the United States on an annual basis. According to the Centers for Disease Control, over a million burn injuries require hospitalization each year. Whether these harms result from an explosion or chemical exposure, burn victims must endure unthinkable pain and a host of expensive medical treatments. While these challenges are incredibly difficult regardless of the circumstances, they are even more disturbing when the burn injury is caused by someone else’s negligence. These incidents leave victims and their families feeling betrayed and helpless to fight back.
At Merkel & Cocke, P.A., we help injured clients fight back and obtain justice. Our legal team has spent decades aggressively advocating for personal injury victims and their families. As experienced Mississippi burn injury lawyers, we use our skills and extensive knowledge to successfully negotiate high-value settlements and litigate monetary awards, including two successful cases against State Industries on behalf of burn victims.
Assisting clients with severe burn injuries
Burn injuries are generally classified into three categories, depending on their level of severity. Those three categories are:
- First-degree burns. These are the least serious classifications of burns. They affect the outer layer of skin, causing redness and mild pain. First-degree burns rarely require professional medical treatment.
- Second-degree burns. Second-degree burns cause damage below the outer layer of skin, down to the dermis or even the epidermis. Blistering, swelling and increased levels of pain are commonly associated with a second-degree burn.
- Third-degree burns. These are the most serious classification of burns, with damage extending down into the deep tissue of the affected area. The injury site may appear blackened or even white, surrounded by charred skin. The risk of infection is high with third-degree burns.
You can count on our professional team to provide you with skilled and aggressive representation. When calculating an appropriate compensation amount, we consider all costs associated with your personal injury, including medical expenses and lost income, as well as pain and suffering.
Burn injuries result from traumatic accidents
Accidents that result in burn injuries are often extremely traumatic for the victim. At Merkel & Cocke, we have seen many burn injury victims require long-term psychiatric care to deal with the memories and stress of the injury-causing accident. Throughout three decades of practice, our lawyers have advocated for individuals injured by:
- Flame burns. These burns occur when as individual comes in direct contact with an open flame, such as in a building fire.
- Contact burns. Contact burns occur when an individual is touched or touches a hot object, such as a heating or cooking appliance.
- Scalds. When the skin comes in contact with an extremely hot liquid, it may be scalded. Hot coffee or boiling water can cause a scalding burn.
- Electrical burns. When electrical current passes through skin tissue, it can cause extensive internal burns and damage. Construction site workers are particularly susceptible to these types of injuries.
- Chemical burns. Exposure to certain chemical substances, rather through touch or ingestion, can lead to a severe chemical burn. Certain industrial and janitorial workers are at a high risk for chemical burns.
Comprehensive representation for your most complex burn injuries
The effects of a burn injury are long-lasting. Do not let a negligent party get away with causing you or your loved one harm. At Merkel & Cocke, we serve clients from our home office in Clarksdale, assisting injured parties throughout Mississippi, including Tupelo, Jackson, Cleveland, Indianola, and across the Gulf Coast region. We also effectively handle burn cases in Tennessee and Arkansas. Call us today at 662-627-9641 or complete our contact form to schedule your free consultation.