Jackson Car Accidents
Experienced Jackson Car Accident Injury Lawyers
Asserting and protecting Mississippi clients’ right to recover fair compensation
Car crashes are one of the most common ways in which Americans are injured each year. There are many types of car crashes which result in many different types of injuries. Whether result of speeding, drunk, distracted or drowsy driving, human error is often the root cause. When the negligence of another driver causes you to become injured, you may have grounds for a personal injury claim against the driver who is at fault in the crash.
At Merkel & Cocke, P.A., we help to guide our clients through the challenging process of pursuing an injury claim. Our Jackson car accident lawyers investigate the incident, determine the cause of the crash and who is at fault. We represent our clients claim against the insurance company and make sure that they recover fair compensation.
General traffic safety statistics for Mississippi
In 2016 there were 628 fatal traffic crashes with 690 deaths and 23.1 deaths per 100,000 population. For alcohol involved traffic crashes, there were 423 drivers killed and 219 of those had a known BAC result. On the topic of safety belt use, only 78% of Mississippians use seat belts. There were 300 fatalities in unrestrained drivers and 247 fatally injured unrestrained passengers. (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)
What are some of the common types of car accident injuries?
Car accident injuries that we tend to see include the following:
- Back and neck injuries
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Broken bones
- Soft tissue injuries
- Internal organ damage
Types of car accidents
While there are countless variations of car crashes that might occur, here are a few examples of the more common types:
- Rear-end collisions are the most common type of car accident and are often a result of driver inattention. If the rear vehicle was following the car ahead too closely and the car ahead stops quickly or unexpectedly can cause a crash.
- Broadside, side impact or T-bone collision often occur in intersections where the driver who crashes into the side of the other car might have run a red light or failed to come to a complete stop at a stop sign.
- Head-on crashes are relatively rare, but when they do occur they are almost always deadly as two vehicles are crashing head-on into one another.
- Rollover crashes often occur in vehicles with a higher center of gravity such as SUVs. A rollover crash can occur when the driver is taking corners at high speed and can lead to serious accidents.
- Multi-vehicle crashes like the ones you have probably seen coverage about on the evening news might take place on a highway and the cars end up in piles making it a challenge to determine how it started.
- Hit-and-run accidents seem to be happening more often. It occurs when the driver who causes the crash leaves the scene without identifying his or herself or stopping to render whatever aid might be needed. Mississippi requires drivers involved in an accident which results in bodily injury or death or property damage to give their contact information and render aid. MS Code § 63-3-405 (2017)
How can a Jackson car crash lawyer help my injury case?
If you have suffered a serious injury in a car accident in Jackson, MS and you want to pursue compensation, you may want to consult with a car accident attorney. An experienced car accident lawyer is thoroughly versed in personal injury law, so they know how to determine if you have a viable case.
Mississippi has comparative fault laws, which means that if you played any role in causing the crash, the amount you will be eligible to recover will be reduced by the percentage of your fault. If the Court determines that you share 20% of the fault in the crash, your damages will be reduced by 20%. So, you would collect only 80% of the total damages.
If you think this sounds complicated, you are right. Your Jackson car wreck lawyer understands he complicated issues of determining fault in a car crash. They will help you understand what your case is worth and if you stand to have your recovery diminished in any way. Mississippi also has a statute of limitations of three years to pursue damages after a car accident injury.
One of the skilled Jackson car accident attorneys at Merkel & Cocke is ready to discuss your injury case and review your legal options.
Call today to schedule a free consultation with a trusted Jackson car crash attorney
The personal injury legal team of Merkel & Cocke is committed to seeking justice for car crash victims throughout Mississippi, Tennessee and Arkansas. You are welcome to contact us today to schedule a free consultation at our Jackson office. Call us at 662-627-9641 or complete our contact form now.
Types of Cases We Handle
Our Oxford attorneys handle a variety of cases, including:
- Car Accidents Still the Leading Cause of Injury in Mississippi
- Mississippi Leads the Country in Distracted Driving Collisions
- When Can You Make a Claim for Compensation for Injuries in a Mississippi Car Crash?
- U.S. Senators Demand Action on Takata Airbags Safety Recall
- Cars Must Take Extra Care at Railroad Crossings
- Why It Is Critical to Take Pictures After a Car Accident
- Buckle Up, Mississippi. Seat Belts Save Lives
622 Duling Avenue
Jackson, MS 39216
Phone: (601) 653-1103