Reputable Mississippi Car Crash Lawyers Helping the Injured
Helping injury victims in the Delta and down the Gulf Coast for more than 30 years
When we hear of vehicle accidents on our state’s roadways, our first hope is that everyone involved walked away without injury. Unfortunately, the reality is that thousands of people are injured on the highways and streets of Mississippi each year. As reported by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, the state experienced 604 fatal crashes in 2015, resulting in 677 deaths. From head injuries to broken bones, serious auto accidents can leave victims in pain, with mounting medical bills and lost wages.
At Merkel & Cocke, P.A., we provide injury victims with the high-quality legal representation that they would expect from seasoned Mississippi car crash lawyers. We use our resources and knowledge to evaluate your injuries and the total cost of necessary medical care. While some injuries only require a few months of treatment, others result in a lifetime of medical costs. Our legal team is capable of handling your most severe car accident injury case.
What types of injuries can result from a car crash?
Car crashes can result in various types of serious injuries. Some heal in months; others last a lifetime. Depending on the severity of your crash, you could sustain:
- Broken bones. Car accidents often result in fractured or broken bones. Depending on the location and severity of the break, these injuries can have lasting effects. The victim may experience chronic pain, along with limited usage in the effected limb.
- Head injuries. The head is extremely vulnerable during a car crash. A driver or passenger may bump their head on the dashboard or go through the windshield. A violent jerking of the head upon impact can cause the brain to move around inside of the skull. There is also a risk of foreign objects protruding into the skull and brain matter. All of these injuries can lead to traumatic brain injury, with symptoms ranging from headaches and memory loss to extended periods of unconsciousness.
- Neck and back injuries. Neck and back injuries are also common during car crashes, often stemming from the stress placed on these areas of the body during the force of impact. Whiplash is a neck injury that occurs when neck muscles and ligaments are strained. Chronic, long-term pain often accompanies neck and back injuries.
- Spinal cord injuries. When parts of the spinal cord are injured during a car crash, the victim is often left to deal with some level of paralysis. Treatment for this type of catastrophic injury usually includes extensive rehabilitation and special accommodations for everyday tasks.
- Burns. Car crashes sometimes lead to explosions, particularly in accidents involving trucks carrying explosive or flammable materials. Victims may experience severe burns on their bodies, leading to painful surgeries, extensive healing times, and permanent physical deformities.
- Amputations. A car accident can sometimes result in the loss of a limb for an innocent victim. Sometimes, these tragedies occur instantly from the force of the accident. Other times, amputation becomes medically necessary as part of the treatment plan. These injuries permanently affect a victim’s quality of life.
- Internal injuries. The chest and abdomen are also vulnerable during a car accident. The force of the steering wheel may cause injury to lungs or cause broken ribs. Internal damage to the organs can lead to serious, life-threatening complications.
- Emotional harm. Involvement in a car accident is a traumatic event that some people have difficulty overcoming. Victims may experience depression due to the severity of their injuries or anxiety about cars. In some cases, psychological treatment is necessary to help the victim deal with these challenges.
We understand how costly the treatments for these injuries can be for a family. That is why we commit ourselves to obtaining a settlement amount that adequately covers these expenses, as well as any emotional pain and suffering.
Effective representation for victims of serious Mississippi car crash injuries
With more than three decades of legal experience, the lawyers of Merkel & Cocke are capable of handling your most serious car crash injury cases. From our home office in Clarksdale, we also assist injured parties throughout Mississippi, including Tupelo, Jackson, and across the Gulf Coast region. We also handle injury cases in Tennessee and Arkansas. Call us today at 662-627-9641 or complete our online contact form. First consultations are free.